Throughout each year, governing boards periodically must take certain policy-related actions to comply with state and federal laws as well as board policies. Some actions do not have specific time frames, a portion require action on an annual or biennial basis and still others specify finite dates by which action shall have been taken.
This calendar has been developed to provide as much specificity as possible.
- Where the statute or regulation lacks specificity, the calendar provides a suggested timeline for the action.
- Activities that have statutory timelines are organized in the listing by date.
- Others have suggested dates based upon an assumption that the actions should be conducted in conjunction with time frames determined by other activities such as the organizational meeting of the board or the adoption of the budget.
- A notation on the affected items indicates when an alternate period may be selected at local discretion. The information enclosed in square brackets is the legal authority for the policy.
- A star symbol at the end of a statement indicates governing board action is required.